Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Down the rabbit hole


I love childrens' stories. I think that they are more true than just about anything else I read. Alice in Wonderland has always been a great favorite of mine. A little girl who falls through a rabbit hole and pops out into a new universe (a much prettier tunnel than the way most of us got to wonderland). Soon she is greeted by various odd creatures who celebrate at arbitrary times, have serious meglomaniacal control issues, or who just can't seem to stop puffing away on a pipe. It's almost as odd a place as the one in which we all reside. Even as a very young child the world and its accepted norms has baffled me, and Alice's plight has resonated with me in an oh-so comforting way.

But all classic childrens' stories speak of truth.

My favorite one to share with my students is the one about the magic lamp. I remember as a kid how delighted I was if someone asked me what I would wish for if I had only three wishes and I could proudly proclaim "ten thousand more wishes." Pretty soon we (like all kids) all wised up. Since that was always the response, we had to include the special disclaimer that you couldn't wish for more wishes. This is necessary. This is where so much truth comes in.

I sincerely believe that we all get around three big wishes (give or take a few) and barring some impossibles (growing a foot, healing a permanent disability, etc.) we generally get exactly what we have wished for.

Wanna be rich? Done. You may not get to keep your integrity, have a family, etc., but if it's in the top three, you'll get it.
Wanna be beautiful? Have a pleasant life? Be "right"? Be deeply spiritual? Great at ping pong? Done. Done. Done. and Done.
Except that, again, you only get to secure three; others may come if you're lucky, but there are only enough hours in a day to secure three.

So....the advice they always give?
You guessed it... Choose wisely.
Choose wisely.

And for those of us who keep looking for the loophole to get more wishes before we really confirm what we want? I'm starting to think that it just might not be all that productive. Huh. Well, I was so much smarter when I was ten.

4 comments:

Salt H2O said...

Not only was Alice in Wonderland your favorite story, you forgot to mention it was your favorite halloween costume as well!

You're right about this getting what you wish for bit- and not getting more than 3 KEEN insigt myfriend. IE...I wanted to be married, to a good man, who is hardworking, and live in Southern California. BEEP! I only got the first 3. The last one I had to sacrifice to get the first 3.

crazy4danes said...

I love this post, although Alice in Wonderland was written buy a bunch of tripping hippies if you ask me! But you can relate the wish thing to real life. If you really want something, more often than not, with a little hard work you can get it. But it seems there always is a sacrafice at some point for every wish granted. Like Kory said...you get the man, but not necessarily ALL the package is included. I got my wish of marrying an awesome man, however I don't remember the inlaws being apart of that wish package! LOL ;)

Pyrate said...

I have made the same wish every opportunity for many years.
I can't tell you what it is because it would ruin it. But it's come true every time.
ok, i can tell you, it really can't ruin it.
I simply wish to be happy, through whatever i'm going through. i could never think of anyting worth one of my three wishes, other than that.

on the whole, I'm a happy person.

TUG said...

How is school going?!?!?!